Thursday, April 5, 2007

Letter Writing - A Vanishing Art Form

Do you use e-mail or "snail mail"? The last time I wrote a "real" letter was... well, a long time ago.
Does anyone write letters anymore?

Sometimes it is unavoidable, especially when corresponding formally to a university, job, or authority. But while e-mail is often informal and immediate, "snail mail" must be written a bit more formally. Before you go to the post office, look at the phrases below to be sure that you are using the correct degree of formality (or informality) in your next letter.

Formal
Thank you for your letter of (date) concerning...
I am writing to inquire about...
I am writing to inform you that...
I am pleased to inform you that...
I regret to inform you that...
I hope this information has been of use.
Please give my regards to (name of person).
Thank you for all you have done.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Informal
Thank you for your letter about...
I'm writing to ask about...
I'm writing to say that...
I'm pleased to say...
I'm sorry to tell you that...
I hope this has been useful. / I hope this helps.
Regards to (name of person).
Thanks for all your help.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Note that formality often depends on the verbs used, and that more formal language does not use contractions.

Taken from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary, study pages.

No comments: