Friday, February 9, 2007

Creating an English Learning Journal

Have you ever heard of "keeping a journal"? Have you ever used a journal in your own language? What exactly is a journal?

A journal is a small book or notebook where you write down your thoughts, your favorite things, your dreams and goals. You can write anything in a journal. Journals can be kept private or shared with others.

Keeping a journal in English can help you see how your English is improving, as well as where you’re still having problems. Journals are good for practicing your writing and they’re a nice way of communicating privately with your teacher.

Here are some ideas
(called "prompts") for writing in your English learning journal . Complete these sentences every day in your journal to reflect on your progress.
  1. “Today I learned……………………………………………”
  2. “Today’s lesson was easy /difficult because………”
  3. “The most fun/boring part of today’s lesson was…….”
  4. “I like it when my teacher……………………………………….”
  5. “I don't like it when my teacher……………………………….”
  6. “I’m good at…………………………………………….……………”
  7. “I need to improve…………………………………………………”
  8. “To improve my English I want to do more…………………in class.”
  9. “To improve my English I want to do more…………………at home.”
Go back to your journal often and look at what you wrote yesterday, last week, or last month.

Buy yourself a nice notebook and a good pen, and use them only for your English learning journal.

No comments: